When you think hockey, you think body checks, fist fights and missing teeth. But there’s so much more to hockey than the rough contact sport it’s known for.
Here are the Top 10 from Health Fitness Revolution and author of the book ReSYNC Your Life Samir Becic:
- Helps burn fat and calories: The fast pace of the game requires short bursts of energy that help burn a huge number of calories. Each player burns about 0.061 calories per pound, per minute. This amounts to a huge loss of body weight in the long run.
- Develops the cardiovascular system of the body: The energy and muscular strength required in hockey help in the development of cardiovascular system, which supplies the muscles with oxygen. Pumping of sufficient quantities of oxygen helps to improve the breathing and cellular activity.
- Metabolism boosting: Because of the start-stop nature of the game, where fast skating is broken up by periods of rest, you may get to enjoy even greater cardio benefits. This pattern mimics high intensity interval training, which can burn more calories and boost your metabolism.
- Is a full body workout: Playing hockey is an excellent way of developing the leg muscles, such as the hamstrings, calves and hip flexor muscles. It also aids in developing the endurance of triceps, forearms and shoulder muscles.
- Enhanced muscular strength: The enhanced muscular strength gained from hockey can reduce the risk of injury, improve bone strength, strengthen connective tissues and increase muscle mass. All of these contribute positively to a healthier, stronger body that is less prone to injury and has improved overall function.